BUILDING A GENERAL MANAGEMENT CAREER
1. The General Management Skills
2. Steps in a General Management Career
3. Case Study: Gurcharan Das’s Career Choices
General Management Skills
1. Analytical Skills - refers to the ability to visualize, gather information, articulate, analyze, solve complex problems, and make decisions. Analytical skills are essential in the workplace to ensure necessary problem solving occurs to keep productivity and other areas of the workforce functioning smoothly.
2. Skill in Building an Organization
4. Good Judgment, especially in their assessment of people
5. Skill at risk taking
6. Skill in human relations – persuading, communicating, charming, integrating and even wheeling and dealing in order to motivate, coordinate and direct the efforts of normally fractious employees, peers, superiors and interested parties in the government and community.
Steps in General Management Career
1. Go to school
2. Post graduate education in Analysis working in a:
a. Staff Capacity
c. Managing on a functional role
d. Managing for an entire business unit
e. Managing the total enterprise
CASE STUDY: GURCHARAN DAS’S CAREER CHOICES
Born in October 1943, in Lyallpur, India (now Pakistan), Das is married and lives with his wife in New Delhi. They have two children. He is also an author and a former Chief Executive.
Das’s Steps in General Management Career
1. Go to School
| He attended school in Washington D.C where Das graduated from Harvard University with honors in Philosophy. He also attended the Harvard Business School’s (HBS) Advanced Management Program where he’s featured in three HBS case studies.
| CAREER CHOICES
| A. Writing
| Das began writing many years ago, soon after leaving college. He completed three plays in his twenties, which have since been...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document