Pfizer Inc., a corporation organized and existing under the laws of the State of Delaware, HEREBY CERTIFIES AS FOLLOWS:
1. The name of the corporation is Pfizer Inc. The name under which it was originally incorporated was Chas. Pfizer & Co., Inc. The date of filing its original Certificate of Incorporation with the Secretary of State was June 2, 1942.
2. This Restated Certificate of Incorporation was duly adopted in accordance with Section 245 of the General Corporation Law of Delaware.
3. This Restated Certificate of Incorporation only restates and integrates and does not further amend the provisions of the Certificate of Incorporation as amended or supplemented heretofore and there is no discrepancy between this Restated Certificate of Incorporation and the text of the Certificate of Incorporation as amended or supplemented heretofore.
4. The text of the Certificate of Incorporation as amended or supplemented heretofore is hereby restated without further amendments or changes to read as herein set forth in full:
FIRST: The name of the Corporation is and shall be Pfizer Inc. (hereinafter in this Restated Certificate of Incorporation called the "Corporation").
SECOND: The principal office and place of business of the Corporation in the State of Delaware is located at 1209 Orange Street, in the City of Wilmington, County of New Castle; and the name and post office address of the registered agent of the Corporation in the State of Delaware is The Corporation Trust Company, 1209 Orange Street, in the City of Wilmington, County of New Castle, Delaware.
THIRD: The nature of the business, or objects or purposes to be transacted, promoted.
CAPITAL STRUCTURE AT THE BEGINNING & AS OF TODAY
With $2,500 borrowed from Charles Pfizer's father, cousins Charles Pfizer andCharles Erhart, young entrepreneurs from Germany, open Charles Pfizer & Company as a fine-chemicals business. A modest red-brick building in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, New York, serves as office, laboratory, factory, and warehouse. Their first product is a palatable form of santonin — an antiparasitic used to treat intestinal worms, a common affliction in mid-19th century America. Combining their skills, Pfizer, a chemist, and Erhart, a confectioner, blend santonin with almond-toffee flavoring and shape it into a candy cone. The "new" santonin is an immediate success and the company is launched.
The first domestic production of tartaric acid and cream of tartar, products vital to the food and chemical industries, is launched by Pfizer.
As demand for painkillers, preservatives, and disinfectants soars during the Civil War, Pfizer expands production of tartaric acid (used as a laxative and skin coolant) and cream of tartar (effective as both a diuretic and cleansing agent) as well as other vital drugs to help meet the needs of the Union Army. Among these are iodine, morphine, chloroform, camphor, and mercurials, which, in addition to medicinal applications, are used in the emerging field of photography, the new medium photographer Mathew Brady employs to chronicle the Civil War.
The expansion propelled by the Civil War continues and Pfizer's revenues double. The company now has a substantially increased product line and 150 new employees. To accommodate this growth, it buys and renovates a post-Revolutionary-era building at 81 Maiden Lane in Manhattan and moves its headquarters there. The site carries the Pfizer name for nearly a century.
Using imported concentrates of lemon and lime, Pfizer begins manufacturing citric acid. Pfizer soon becomes America's...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document