Worth A Thousand Words
FLAMES TO DUSTWORD BUFFET NOTESA MOUTHFUL OF WORDSLIVING THOUSANDS OF LIVESmore... Panitikan: An Essay On Philippine Literature
Philippine Literature started as a chant from tribes/ tribal chanting until the present time where in colonial days, the voices of the Filipinos against the Spaniards is voiced out through their native languages and through English (in verse and in prose).
Development: riddles/ chanting/Through Voices/sound to written works such as verse and prose.
- Indigenous Philippine Literature was born in the ethnic community
- Bugtong (riddles) was used to entertain the people in the lineal villages along riverbanks and see coasts
- The Families during meal time made the Bugtong an affectionate game and learning process
- Heart of a riddle: metaphor ( linking 2 unrelated images both found in riddles)
- Relationship = VISION / A WAY OF SEEING
- TALINGHAGA = METAPHOR
Proverb/ Salawikain (rhyme & wisdom)
Added = Performed through poems (poetry form)
Tanaga – Proverbs with monorhyming – strength/ pain
Ambahan – Chanted & Written by mangyans (songs about Nature, Childhood, woman relationships, hospitality)
The Mangyans inscribe their songs on bamboo tubes
Songs – Active Literature – Gives life by the use of rhythm. Brings life to every activity.
Verbal jousts/ games like the duplo were played at funeral wakes
The bayak spoke of love;
Balagtasan on stage
Later, on radio and television. Debated in verse and in prose, seriously or in jest, various facts of Philippine Life
Epics like tuwaang, hinilawod, and bastogan
- The oral forms of Philippine Literature are the spontaneous expression of people’s feelings and vision in words crafted by the poets and storytellers of the community.
- (transmitted and preserved orally) “not primitive”
- Product of tradition and folk practice rather than of education and artistic training.
- Filipino as being rooted in the southeast asian dimension later served as a filter for the western culture brought by colonization
The Spanish Colonial Period (1565-1897)
-literature influences/ Roman Catholic Religion
Early written literature was predominantly religious in content/ and in on purpose
- Novenas, books of prayers, books of conduct grammars and dictionaries for the use of friars teaching religion to natives.
- Replaced the epics and became social epic
Social epic “A minor of the collective consciousness”
HOPES FOR LIBERATION
2 other types of narrative poems, the awit and the corrido, enter the native repertoire in the 10th century (Florante and Laura) – by Balagtas
(Revolution against Spain)
Propaganda Movement - Revolution Began (KATIPUNAN)
The American Colonial Period (1898-1945) to the present
Page 28. [the establishment by the American Insular Government of the public educational system in 1907 had profound effects on the Philippine Literature . English became the medium of instruction and the language of schooled literature
- Produced textbooks filled with American Values and images.
- From schools came the first Filipino writers in English who sought to capture Philippine experience in the borrowed alien language.
The short story showcased the skill and art of writers.
The first decades saw the growth of poetry in English, with Jose Garcia Villa’s Poetry published in the United States and considered alongside those of his American Contemporaries.
The Era also crystallized the confrontation between writing as a personal art and as a reflection of society.
- In the end, what really interests the writer is some sort of assurance that his writing will result in something that he can lay his hands on as good and useful.
- The Sarsuwela, regnant drama...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document